Friday, February 8, 2013

Haircare Secrets from C

SNOW DAY!  Who would've thought even when I was 23 I would still be having snow days (now from work instead of elementary school). So since I am all cooped up in my Boston apartment for who knows how many days, I decided to tell you my hair care secrets!  I have been growing my hair out now for about five years.  When I was in middle school, I learned what a straightener was and became an addict.  Yes, hair straightening is an addiction, just like tanning. Well, by senior year of high school, my ends started to really break off and split.  My hair was super layered and angled and it was starting to look such a mess.  

So I started to think, "how can I fix this?".  I was desperate.  I tried hair masks and new shampoos that claimed to stop breakage and secure split ends; which is a total lie.  Don't believe whatever Pantene or Herbal Essences tells you.  I never use either of these products on my hair anymore because I feel like they make my hair so blah.  I then discovered that the best way to stop split ends and breakage is to give my hair a chance to breathe.  Yes, I sucked it up and stopped straightening it for a while.  I decided to embrace the curls God gave me and scrunch it up!  I tried all new hair styles and I started to get really into headband braids.  The "poof" was still intact even when I left my hair natural, so I rocked that what big hair rather than straight hair.  Once my hair started to grow and become longer, side braids were an instant go-to!  I figured out that if you side-braid your wet hair before bed, in the morning you will have beautiful wavy hair while the top of your head is tamed and straight.  Throw a little mousse in it and you have yourself a cute hairstyle without using hot styling tools.  


I started to only straighten my hair once or twice a week and washing it every other day.  It started to regain its strength and my breakage situation was under control!  I also got trims regularly every 4 to 6 weeks.  It took four years, but my hair is stronger and healthier than ever before! It's also super long and most of my girlfriends envy it. Currently, I am using Organix shampoos. I'm using the brazilian keratin therapy and it's great!  My favorite one so far is the macadamia oil shampoo and conditioner.  There is also a great macadamia oil hair mask that they make which is great to use once a week and it only takes five minutes!  


Of course, I still always swear by any Paul Mitchell product.  From the tea tree shampoo to the color care products, Paul always knows exactly what my hair likes!  Also, always use product before using a styling tool.  I usually put a dab of paul mitchell skinny serum or jerico styling oil in my hair before I blow dry it.  Then when straightening, I use a thermal protection spray like paul mitchell's Hot Off the Press!  It really protects hair from heat damage as well as it  b

oosts hair’s strength, fights frizz and provides flexible hold.


It took me four years, but I am finally in love with my hair.  I never thought I would embrace my curls because when I was little I used to hate them. I still straighten my hair always, but now I curl it just as much! 


Stick to your products and treat your hair with ultimate care!


Ciao, 


XO-


C




2008- Short Hair

2012- Long Hair 

2012




No comments:

Post a Comment